Drains are an essential part of your home’s infrastructure and though they are usually hidden, they will become all too apparent if they are blocked or stop working properly.

It’s in these situations that a drain specialist, an expert in installing and maintaining drainage solutions, is called for.

Whether you need new drains installed or you need a blocked drain sorting out fast, these wonders of waste water are the professionals you need to keep things moving.

What they do

Drainage specialists deal with a number of different tasks, including drain installation, drain cleaning, repairs and dealing with blocked drains. You’ll need to get in touch with them to help with:

  • Blocked drains
  • Drain cleaning
  • Descaling
  • Root Removal
  • Drain excavations
  • Drain CCTV Inspection
  • Pre-purchase surveys
  • Drain lining
  • Blocked toilets

What they charge

Emergency call outs will always cost slightly more, but you can expect to pay:

  • £40 – £50 to unblock a drain just using rods
  • £50- 80 to unblock a drain including high pressure jetting

If tree roots are causing the problem or the drain has collapsed, you will need to have the drain repaired or replaced which will cost more. This should be accurately diagnosed by having a full CCTV and report which will cost around £75 plus VAT.

To repair drains:

  • Reline a 10m section of drain – £600 – £800 (including materials)
  • To build a new inspection chamber – £1200

Remember, if the drain that’s causing the problem is not on your property, it may well be the responsibility of the local authority or your utility provider.

What to ask

Make sure you know exactly what is included in the price with regards to VAT, materials and labour as you don’t want any surprises when you receive an invoice. Other questions to ask include:

  • Is the work guaranteed?
  • Can I get a written estimate before you start the job?
  • Do you have insurance?
  • Will you remove any waste material and rubble?

Trades to trust

If your drainage specialist displays the National Association of Drainage Contractors (NADC) logo, it’s a sign that they’re a trained and certified contractor.

The law

If you’re installing new drains, Building Regulations Part H governs waste water and disposal.

Many works to domestic drains need to be approved by a building inspector. Your drainage specialist should arrange this where necessary but this will add an extra to the cost to cover the fees for the inspection.

Ready to hire?

3 is the magic number

As always, try and get three quotes from three different drainage specialists to ensure you pay a fair price for the job.

Certification and references

Don’t be shy about asking for any relevant certification, proof of public liability insurance and references or photos from previous jobs. If the drainage specialist is trustworthy and competent, they’ll be pleased (and proud) to show you both.